history

The Giffords gave Rodden to Boynton Church in 1289 and it remained a chapel of ease to that church until 1808. After the dissolution it became a barn but was refurbished in 1640 by order of Archbishop Laud. In 1832 it was enlarged and the tower was added.

These churches are not, and must not become mere objects of artistic or antiquarian curiosity. They must continue to serve their primary purpose as houses for the worship of God. Services have been held in them for centuries and this unbroken pattern of prayer must continue.

But we hold these buildings in trust for ourselves and future generations. May we be faithful to that trust, and may they continue to reflect the Glory of God.

This article was written by Michael McGarvie FSA, a local historian.